What is Google Remarketing?
Remarketing consists on creating and targeting personalized ads campaigns to those users that have already visited your website.
This means that we are able to target customers who are in the middle-low part of the conversion funnel. These kinds of potential customers are usually easy to convert!
The way how Google Remarketing works is very simple, it just takes these few steps:
- A user visits our website.
- This user is marked with a cookie.
- This user is added to a specific remarketing list depending on the pages they have visited.
- A display campaign is made targeting these lists of users.
How do I implement Google Remarketing Tag on my website?
First of all, we have to get our remarketing code, let’s see how we can get it
- Sign in on our Google Ads account.
- Click on “Tools”.
- On “Shared Library” click on “Audience Manager”.
- Once there, click on “Audience Sources”.
- Then we click on “Details” on the “Google Ads Tag” section.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on “Tag Setup”.
- Copy and paste the script between the “<head> and </head>”tags of every page that you want to track on your website.
How do I create remarketing lists?
Once we have inserted the remarketing code on our website, we have to create the remarketing lists.
That will contain the users that have visited specific pages of our website.
Just click on “Tools” -> “Audience Manager” -> “Audience Lists” and “+”.
Try to segment the users for the different pages that they have visited, for example create some lists:
- Users that have visited only the homepage.
- People which have visited a product.
- Who have clicked on “Subscribe” button?
- Create a list containing users that have added products to the cart.
- Create a list containing users that purchased something.
Remind you that a list won’t start working unless you get 100 active users in that list in the last 30 days, you can accelerate the process by combining it with normal Google Ads campaigns!
Also, we can setup the affiliation time of the users in that list (max. 540 days).
Why should I use Google Remarketing?
Google Remarketing can be a powerful tool…
To increase the conversions of our store if done correctly. Let’s check some of the main advantages of Google Remarketing:
- It can be used as a brand reminder for our users, helping us to keep our brand in the mind of the customer.
- Remarketing can help us increasing conversions because, as we said before, we are targeting potential customers who are in the middle-low part of the conversion funnel.
- We can fully personalize the ads for each list we are targeting, increasing the impact of the ad. For example, if we are targeting the list of users that have added products to the cart but didn’t finish the buying process, we can create a message that encourages they to finish the process by adding a discount code.
- Our ads can appear on all the Google Display Network! (over 2 million website)
Types of Remarketing:
There are 5 types of remarketing that we can use in each different situation:
- Traditional Remarketing: With this option, we will show our Display ads to the customers that have visited previously our website.
- Dynamic Remarketing: it’s similar to the traditional remarketing, but a little bit more advanced. With this type of remarketing we will be able to show personalized ads depending on the products that the user has visited on our website previously.
- Remarketing for mobile apps: it’s like the traditional remarketing but targeted for mobile apps.
- RLSA (Remarketing List for Search Ads): instead of showing display ads, with this type we will show our search Ads to users that have previously visited our website and are searching on the website for similar products we are selling.
- YouTube Video Remarketing: with this option you will able to do remarketing with people that have watched a certain video, subscribed to certain channel, linked video from a channel…
How do I optimize my Remarketing campaigns?
Let’s see a few tips that can help you optimizing your remarketing campaigns:
- Frequency capping: Limit the number of times your ads appear to the same person. Don’t make them think that you are a spammer!
- Already customers list: Always create a list with the customers that already have bought in your website and create specific actions and ads for this list.
- Personalized the ad for each list: Always create personalized ads for each list of remarketing that you are creating.
- A/B Testing: Try different ads and see which one performs better. The way to success is failing over and over!
As you can see, Remarketing is a really powerful tool that every e-commerce owner should use. If you are interested on getting the best remarketing campaigns for your store, check our app for your e-commerce platform!